Sunday, May 3, 2009

I've been completely obsessed with this song lately...

"Across the Shields" by Torche

(Although, I must admit the video is pretty f-ed up.)

I'm considering adding it to my list of perfect songs.

Said list is quite short. While I will not post the whole list at this time, it includes such songs as...

"Hate to Say I Told You So" by The Hives
"Touch Me I'm Sick" by Mudhoney
"Milk Cow Blues" by The Kinks

And for the record, my top five albums of '08 (that I heard, and I didn't hear a whole hell of a bunch, so take this with a grain of salt)...

1. Meanderthal by Torche
2. Electric Aborigines by Awesome Color
3. Traced in Air by Cynic
4. Watershed by Opeth
5. Consolers of the Lonely by The Raconteurs

2 comments:

Max said...

I have two albums from your top 5, but oddly enough was disappointed with both of them.

Meandertahl has some great songs -- "Across the Shields" in particular -- the murkiness of the mix drives me crazy. Been meaning to revisit it.

I come to like Opeth's Watershed, but it feels less cohesive to me than Ghost Reveries and others -- suffers from the Sudden Shift Syndrome so common among prog & death bands, skipping from cool part to cool part without transitions to hold it all together. So while it's an excellent record it never held my attention the way many Opeth records have. Still trying to wrap my head around the lead cut sounding so much like Zero 7. Love the organ though, and the string parts on, uh, is it "Burden?"

Metal record of 2008 for me was Hammers of Misfortune's Fields/Church of Broken Glass, FWIW. I listened the hell out of Nachtmystium's Assassins: Black Meddle, Part 1 too, but despite a stray sax part that scandalized the black metal cognoscenti, it never lives up to its opening three or four minutes.

(Jeez, I should get my own blog, huh? Oh, wait...)

Chris Tichenor said...

Nachmystium's been on my to get list for a while.

And I agree, Watershed is tough to get into. I've really grown to love Coil, and now also love the fact that they open the album with it. The funky Deep Purple-y organ scattered throughout the album is awesome.

Since posting, I think I've changed my mind... I think Awesome Color's Electric Aborigines might be my favorite of 2008.

Ask me tomorrow, and I think I'll have changed my mind again.